Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Briefly... CITY/REGION

Two dead within one hour, six blocks

Two men were killed and a third wounded in separate incidents less than an hour apart in North Philly on Thursday night.

Officers were called to Fairhill Street near Somerset at 11:11 p.m., Chief Inspector Scott Small said. The cops found Miguel Aguilar, 53, lying in a pool of blood on the sidewalk in front of his home. He was suffering from "pretty severe" blunt-force trauma to the head, Small said.

Aguilar was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital a short while later. Investigators had no suspects or motives, but witnesses saw a man fleeing the scene holding what appeared to be a metal object, according to Small.

About 50 minutes later, cops returned to the same area for a report of a person with a gun. This time, they found two men shot on Waterloo Street near Cambria. A 36-year-old man, whose name was not released, died from gunshots to his chest and abdomen, police said. A 21-year-old man, who was shot in the chest and back, was taken to Temple Hospital, where he remained last night in critical condition.

Again, there were no suspects or motives.

The cases appear to be "separate, isolated incidents," according to Small.

Tipsters can contact the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334 or -3335.

Cops: Busted john brought kid along

Hector Flores-Martinez is one dedicated baby-sitter.

Flores-Martinez, 26, even took his 5-year-old son with him to what he allegedly thought was a meeting with a Kensington hooker, according to police.

The doting dad has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child, in addition to solicitation and related offenses, after he allegedly tried to pick up an undercover Vice Unit officer Thursday night on Kensington Avenue, according to police.

Flores-Martinez remained in jail last night at Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility, according to court records. The city's Department of Human Services took custody of his son following the incident.

Day-care operator pleads guilty to fraud

One thing the government can say about Tianna Edwards - no more children will die under her watch.

The woman with a lengthy rap sheet, who prosecutors say forged her sister's signature to obtain state licenses to open two day-care centers, has pleaded guilty to wire fraud, after investigators learned she fraudulently collected more than $1.4 million from the Department of Public Welfare since 2008. In 2012, a 7-year-old boy drowned at Tianna's Terrific Tots on Rising Sun Avenue in Franklinville.

Edwards, 32, pleaded guilty to five counts of wire fraud in federal court Thursday. She is scheduled for trial on manslaughter charges this fall.

- Jenny DeHuff, David Gambacorta and Vinny Vella

Also on
Stay Connected