Sunday, December 28, 2014

Israel steps up offensive as diplomacy kicks off

A Palestinian woman who lost five family members to an Israeli missile strike grieves during their funeral in the town of Beit Hanoun, in the northern Gaza Strip. KHALIL HAMRA / AP
A Palestinian woman who lost five family members to an Israeli missile strike grieves during their funeral in the town of Beit Hanoun, in the northern Gaza Strip. KHALIL HAMRA / AP
JERUSALEM - With rockets raining deep inside Israel, the military pummeled Palestinian targets Wednesday across the Gaza Strip and threatened a broad ground offensive, while the first diplomatic efforts to end two days of heavy fighting got underway.

Egypt, which has mediated before between Israel and the Hamas militant group, said it spoke to all sides about ending the violence. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was in touch with Israel to try to lower tensions. And the U.N. chief warned of a "deteriorating situation . . . which could quickly get beyond anyone's control."

As the Palestinian death toll rose to at least 75, neither side showed any sign of halting their heaviest fighting since an eight-day battle in late 2012.

Israel said it hit more than 300 targets and Hamas positions throughout Gaza, including rocket-launchers, weapons-storage sites and tunnels that it said the group uses to carry out attacks. The military said 74 rockets landed in Israel, including one that reached the northern city of Hadera, the deepest rocket strike ever from Gaza.

"Hamas will pay a heavy price for firing toward Israeli citizens," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said. "The operation will expand and continue until the fire toward our towns stops and quiet returns."

Israel began the offensive Tuesday in response to weeks of rocket launches, and officials said the air strikes would continue until the firing stops. At least 20 civilians were among the 61 deaths reported by the Health Ministry in Gaza. There have been no serious casualties on the Israeli side.

With thousands of Israeli troops massed near the Gaza border, the possibility of a ground invasion grew larger - along with the risk of heavier casualties on both sides.

The government has authorized the army to activate up to 40,000 reservists, and Israeli TV stations said about a quarter of those forces had been called up, signaling that a decision on a ground invasion could still be days away.

A ground offensive in Gaza would be a risky gamble for Israel. It could lead to heavy civilian casualties on the Palestinian side and trigger strong international criticism, as was the case during one that killed hundreds of Palestinians in 2009.

Israeli security officials say they have prepared different scenarios inside Gaza, ranging from a quick pinpoint operation to a full reoccupation of the seaside strip. Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005.

In the first indication that cease-fire efforts were underway, the office of Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said he held "extensive contacts with all active and concerned parties" to end the fighting.

It said the two sides discussed the "critical conditions and the need to stop all military action, and to stop the slide" toward more violence. It called on Israel to protect Palestinian civilians.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he spent Wednesday calling Netanyahu, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, Sissi, and other regional leaders to push the two sides toward a cease-fire.

"This is one of the most critical tests the region has faced in recent years," Ban told a news conference. "Gaza is on a knife-edge. The deteriorating situation is leading to a downward spiral which could quickly get beyond anyone's control."

In Washington, the State Department said Kerry spoke by phone with Netanyahu and planned to talk to Abbas to urge both sides to de-escalate the crisis.

Netanyahu confirmed he spoke to Kerry, Ban and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, but gave no indication the offensive would stop.

Josef Federman Associated Press
Also on Philly.com
Stay Connected