The Franklin Institute
Franklin Institute, The
On January 1st, 1934, The Franklin Institute Science Museum opened to the public. The Museum's hands-on approach to science and technology, combined with the Fels Planetarium, soon made the Institute a popular spot. As the end of the twentieth century drew near, major changes were beginning at the Institute. In May of 1990, The Mandell Center, Tuttleman Omniverse Theater (now known as the Tuttleman IMAX Theater), and Musser Theater opened, adding dramatically to the size and appeal of The Franklin Institute. The new exhibits, exciting Omnimax films, and interactive presentations continued the Institute's long tradition of making science and technology fun. Today, 175 years after the Institute's founding, The Franklin Institute Science Museum continues to offer new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would both amaze and delight Mr. Benjamin Franklin.