Philadelphia Clef Club of the Performing Arts
This venerable jazz institution is one of the most important musical organizations in Philadelphia's history. Formed in 1966 in South Philadelphia, the club is an outgrowth of old Local 274, the musicians' union formed in 1935 by African-American musicians who were shut out of white-dominated music unions and other organizations. Local 274 membership included John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Grover Washington, Jr., and Nina Simone amongst many others. It moved to its present facility, a new four-story building on the Avenue of the Arts, in 1995. The Club hosts concerts, music lessons and other community events.