Hildacy Farm Preserve
The initial 300-acre land grant was originally prized because of the area’s large oaks and other useful wood. Later, the forests were razed quickly to harvest the timber and make room for agriculture. In 1936, Hilda and Cyril Fox (hence the name Hildacy) bought the property. As the rest of the surrounding area was developed, the Foxes were determined to keep this land open for wildlife habitat and did so for close to 50 years. In 1981, they donated it to the Natural Lands Trust. Today, research at Hildacy guides efforts to establish native warm-season grasses at this and other preserves owned by Natural Lands Trust.