The Barnes Foundation
The Barnes Foundation was created in 1922, a school originating with Barnes' educational experimentation in his Argyrol (pharmaceutical) factory. Barnes and The Foundation's first director of education, John Dewey, were interested in fostering cognitive development through new approaches to education, and in heightening critical-thinking and problem-solving skills through the study of art. Barnes, like Dewey, was actively engaged in development of an intellectual framework and educational philosophies and practices with many of the best artists and thinkers of his day. In 2004, a court ruling granted permission for the Barnes Foundation's gallery art collection to move to a new building on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Center City Philadelphia. No date has been set for the move and, in the meantime, the galleries in Merion will continue to be open to the public.