We’ve all been there. It’s hot as all heck outside…your AC is on the fritz and you look like you just ran through a sprinkler. You have to get dressed up for an important luncheon but you’d much rather lay at home in a tub of ice water. Here are five essentials to make sure you stay hot while also keeping cool.
1. The Loose Dress With Attitude - It’s lightweight and it’s drapy but still shows your shape. It’s a blank canvas! You can rock it out with over-the top accessories and studded heels or you can sweeten it up with floral pumps, a loose up do and a pair of romantic earrings.
2. Flower Power (maxi style) – Ahhhhh! The maxi dress! Consider this “old faithful”. Somehow the maxi dress never goes out of style. This is a fresh twist on a classic: pastels & florals are everything this summer and this dress delivers both. Eat your heart out! Literally, no one will notice.
3. The Loose Fit Cropped Trouser - These are NOT your mom’s trousers! They are hip & chic, unlike their cousin from the 80′s. These pants come in many different prints and various shapes, but the basic idea is the same. They are a loose fit trouser with cropped or narrow leg openings that stop at the ankle…and they are AMAZING! These pants are an easy to wear option that puts jeans on the back burner. You can keep your look simple by pairing them with a basic tee or dress them up with a sleeveless blouse. Go from day to night by adding a cropped blazer. I’m loving my leopard ones from Vince Camuto! On “Something Borrowed, Something New,” I paired mine with a black BCBG cropped jacket and coral shirt from TJ Maxx.
4. The Skater Skirt - This breezy skirt is like a breath of fresh air! Choose your length. Versions of this adorable look are EVERYWHERE! Dressing a skater skirt up is obvious. Try pairing it with a sleeveless graphic tee or throw on a jean jacket for a more casual look. This is a skirt suited for any girl, any age and any body type! I’m personally in love with the color-block version also available at www.asos.com.
5. The Romper / Playsuit - Jumpsuits became popular in the 70′s and have never fizzled out. This one by Jessica Simpson is the perfect combination of business and casual. I love pieces that you can play around with. Consider this a staple item for your closet! Keep it casual with some metallic flats and a hobo bag or make a statement with bright, strappy heels, bold jewelry and a fedora.
Kelly Nishimoto is a Los Angeles based designer and the co-host of TLC’s hit wedding show, “Something Borrowed Something New“. Her adult collections have been modeled by Tyra Banks, Roselyn Sanchez, Gwen Stefani and thousands more women across the country. For more information on bespoke collections and guest appearances or interviews, tweet her @kellynishimoto.