Fitness junkies will testify that the right playlist can motivate you to work harder and distract you from the fatigue that threatens to undo your final set. That’s why we’re helping you upgrade your workout playlists with favorite picks from Philadelphia’s top fitness instructors.
MacHose’s barre classes will sculpt your arms, flatten your abs, lift your seat and firm your legs with small, non-impact movements. (Think Pilates, yoga, and ballet, all wrapped into one!) And if you’ve ever experienced a class, you know a playlist can make or break your success at the barre.
“Music provides a timing cue,” said MacHose. “The best workout songs have both a high BPM count and a rhythm to which you can coordinate movements.”
The barre technique focuses on working isolated muscle groups until they shake with fatigue, so of course MacHose opts for songs that can help her clients push through the burn they create with each isometric movement.
“I choose songs that make me want to move and effectively distract me from the pain,” said MacHose.
Here are the 12 songs currently energizing MacHose’s barre classes:
- “Leaving You” by Audien feat. Michael S.
- “Liv Tonight” by Nelly & Keri Hilson
- “Unconditionally (Tracy Young Club Mix)” by Katy Perry *
- “Somebody Loves You” by Betty Who
- “DJ Turn It Up” by Yellow Claw
- “Gimme More (Kascade Club Remix)” by Britney Spears
- “Mmm Yeah” by Austin Mahone feat. Pitbull
- “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce
- “Give It 2 U” by Robin Thicke
- “I Know You Want Me” by Pitbull
- “Run on Love” by Lucas Nord
- “Sleeping With a Friend” by Neon Trees
*You can download the remix on SoundCloud.