3 Bucks County eateries criticized by county health department

Three Bucks County eateries were sharply criticized by the county health department last week after inspections found serious violations that could lead to food poisoning.

For more analysis and reports about restaurant inspections by the Inquirer and Philly.com visit the Clean Plates website at www.philly.com/cleanplates.”

At Pizza Pie II on Pine Street in Langhorne, an inspector cited the restaurant for a total of 15 violations, including seven foodborne illness risk factors. Sanitarian Heidilyn Hoffmeister dropped in on the pizzeria on Nov. 24 and found there was no food safety manager on duty and employees, who were not wearing required hair nets, did not know the basics of keeping food safe. Hoffmeister wrote in her report that the restaurant did not have a cleanup procedure in place for a “vomiting or fecal incident” and toxic chemicals -- including Windex and WD-40 -- were stored with food. In addition, an employee who prepared food was seen cleaning surfaces, handling the trash, and returning to food prep without changing his gloves as required. A manager who identified himself as Claudio said the restaurant would have no comment. The full report can be found here.

Phinny Magee’s Pub on Farragut Ave. in Bristol, was cited for 12 violations including four serious risk factors. Hoffmeister found there was no food safety manager on duty and as a result, saw “critical violations” during the Nov. 24 inspection.  A freezer containing improperly stored food items was malfunctioning, kitchen equipment and utensils were being improperly stored in inside of a microwave and a refrigerator, food contact surfaces were “coated in dust, grease and debris,” and the kitchen walls and ceiling were in poor condition.  The pub was cited for several repeat violations, those included storing bottles of liquor in ice bins designated for “potable purposes,” a keg cooler with a rusted floor that was “not clean,”  and an improper procedure for washing bar glassware. A manager could not be reached for comment. The full report can be found here.
 
The China Moon restaurant, on E. Street Road in Warminster, was cited on Nov. 24 for 11 total violations including six risk factors for foodborne illness. Sanitarian Wendy Bee found there was no food safety manager on duty was required and gave the eatery until Dec. 1 to put one in place. Employees did not know the rules for basic hand washing. When they were asked where they washed their hands, they pointed to a bathroom where there was no soap or paper towels provided.  Egg rolls and chicken were being held at bacteria-friendly temperatures, some food was being stored in open tin cans and a sink drain line was leaking onto the floor. “All material that is in a drain line is considered sewage,” Bee wrote, before ordering the restaurant to close until the leak was fixed. The owner could not be reached for comment and a manager reached by Philly.com said he could not speak English. The full report can be found here.