Are you ready for a weekend of fun, sun and sit-ups? While exercising may not rank high on your to-do list this Memorial Day weekend, I’ve created a quick, fat-blasting routine that takes the work out of your workout. No equipment required. Here’s how it’s done:
Warm-up: 50 jumping jacks.
Rotating toe touches. Start by warming up your body with a standing toe touch exercise. This move stretches out the hamstring and back muscles in addition to tightening and toning your tummy.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your legs straight and bend at the waist to bring the right hand down to the left ankle.
- Bring your upper body back to the starting position and alternate sides, touching the left hand to the right ankle. Repeat 10 times on each side.
Plank-Ups. Planks are a total-body toning tool. Burn more calories in less time by upgrading your standard plank to a combined plank and push-up move.
- Start in a plank position with your body weight resting on your forearms and toes.
- Push your body upward with your right hand, then with your left hand.
- Lower your body back down by dropping to one forearm at a time. That’s one repetition. Continue leading with one side then switch halfway through and lead with the opposite side. Complete 10-12 repetitions in total.
Form fixer: Your body should form a straight line from your head to your heels, while the shoulders are aligned above the wrists. Keep your core muscles engaged the entire time to avoid droopy hips.
Reverse lunge hops. This lower-body exercise focuses on buffing up your booty, legs and core in addition to strengthening your stability and balance. The reverse lunge is slightly easier to master than a forward walking lunge because the front foot is planted throughout the duration of this circuit.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step back with your right foot. The right knee should be bent at a 90-degree angle and hovering slightly above the ground.
- In an explosive movement, drive the right knee up toward the chest and hop off the left foot. Complete 10 repetitions on this side, then repeat on the opposite leg.
If you want to stay in swimsuit shape, don’t take a vacation from your fitness.
Ashley B. Greenblatt is a certified personal trainer at the Sporting Club at the Bellevue.