Kick off the new year with a healthy and energizing family breakfast. The combination of eggs, vegetables, and fruit gives the right amount of protein, vitamins, and fiber to keep you full through your morning activities.
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 green bell pepper, washed, top and seeds removed
- 1 small bunch of fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 small tomato
- ¼ medium yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup of low fat milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8×8 pan with butter.
2. Chop the pepper, spinach, tomato, and onion into bite sized pieces.
3. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add in the vegetables and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat while you prepare the eggs.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, and milk. Beat the ingredients with a fork until thoroughly mixed.
5. Add the cooked vegetables and cheddar cheese to the bowl and stir together.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
Winter Fruit Salad
- 2 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large apple, washed, cored and seeds removed
- 1 large pear, washed and seeds removed
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 – 6 ounce container of blackberries, washed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
1. In a medium bowl, add the clementine sections, pomegranate seeds, and blackberries.
2. Cut the apple and pear into thin, 1 inch pieces. Add into the bowl.
3. Add the lemon juice to the fruit and stir to combine.