February is National Grapefruit Month! We are celebrating this zesty citrus fruit with a fun, homemade dessert recipe that is perfect for this unusual warm winter weather. Granita is a frozen dessert made with fruit and is very similar to a water ice.
Traditional granitas are made with lemon, so grapefruit is a perfect match for those who enjoy a sweet, yet tart treat.
Grapefruits are an excellent source of vitamin C and contain antioxidants. Look for red or pink varieties to get lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to have a role in cancer prevention and heart health.
- 1 ½ cups of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from two grapefruits)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring grapefruit juice and water to a simmer. Add sugar to the pan and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. When the sugar is dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Pour the grapefruit mixture into a shallow square or rectangular baking dish.
4. Freeze for 4-6 hours. To create the granita, use a fork to scrape the ice into shavings every 30-45 minutes while it is freezing.
Makes 4 cups, serving size = 1/2 cup