Try this easy, no-cook salad for a tasty, fresh summer lunch! Chickpeas are a budget-friendly ingredient that provide protein and fiber to keep you full and satisfied. The herbs and lemon juice provide delicious fresh flavor!
This salad can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Served cold or at room temperature, this is perfect to bring to a picnic in the park, down to the shore, or pack for summer camp! You can serve it with whole wheat pita, inside a whole wheat tortilla wrap or on its own!
Refreshing summer chickpea salad
- 1 cup finely chopped greens (kale or collards)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1-2 lemons, or to taste
- 2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered or 2 large tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain and rinse canned chickpeas
2. Wash all fresh produce (greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs)
3. Finely chop greens, halve or quarter cherry tomatoes, dice cucumbers and chop fresh herbs, garlic and onions.
4. In a medium size bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over chopped greens and mix well, massaging dressing into greens.
5. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and enjoy!