Try incorporating more vegetables into your family’s dinner by making a familiar dish with a twist. Tacos can be a great vehicle for getting kids to try new vegetables and the beans in the recipe help to satisfy by adding protein and fiber. Use your own spices instead of a taco seasoning mix to control the sodium.
Get the kids involved by creating a taco bar! Let kids customize their own tacos by choosing their own toppings!
Spring veggie and bean tacos
- 1 can vegetarian re-fried beans
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 bell peppers (any color) diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive or canola)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of a fresh lime
- 8 small corn tortillas
Toppings (optional but recommend):
- Salsa of your choice
- 1 sliced avocado (1/4 avocado per person)
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Make sure veggies are diced to the same size so they cook evenly. Place diced onion, peppers, and zucchini on a large baking sheet.
3. Combine oil, juice of 1 lime and spices in small bowl. Drizzle onto veggies and toss evenly to coat. Spread veggies into an even layer on the baking sheet.
4. Roast in oven for 10 minutes, remove and toss veggies, then return to over to roast for another 10 minutes longer or until softened. Wrap corn tortillas in foil and place in oven for the remaining 10 minutes to warm.
5. Warm re-fried beans either on the stove in a small pan or place in microwave covered for 1-2 minutes.
6. Assemble tacos by spreading ¼ cup of refried beans on each tortilla, then adding roasted veggies.
7. Add toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Serves 4 people (2 tacos per person)
Tip! Read the ingredient list on corn tortillas to ensure they are made with no added oil or lard.