Energize your family’s morning with a portable breakfast on-the-go. The combination of yogurt, cereal, and seasonal fruit provides a balanced meal complete with needed nutrients such as fiber, calcium, and vitamin D.
Look for yogurt and cereal products that are lower in sugar to prevent mid-morning hunger pangs. Check food labels for options that contain 10 or less grams of sugar per serving. Opt for a plain, unflavored Greek yogurt for less sugar and more protein and let the berries provide a natural touch of sweetness.
7 Layer Breakfast Parfait
- ¾- 1 cup of plain or flavored low fat yogurt
- ½- 1 cup fresh berries, washed and sliced (try strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or a mix of all)
- ¼ cup cereal or granola
- 2-3 tablespoons of nuts or seeds (such as chopped walnuts, sliced almonds, shelled sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds)
1. Layer half of the yogurt in the bottom of a clear cup or container.
2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cereal on top of the yogurt.
3. Next, add half of the berries in an even layer.
4. Repeat with the remaining amount of yogurt, cereal, and berries. Add 2 tablespoons of toppings for an added crunch.
Makes 1 serving