Saturday, February 6, 2016

If I am rejected for Medical Assistance, what options do I have to obtain medical insurance?


Question: I have been unemployed for a year. I could not afford to continue my health insurance benefits through COBRA. I recently was hospitalized and as a result have been declared Permanently Disabled. I have applied for Medical Assistance and Disability. If I am rejected for Medical Assistance, what options do I have to obtain medical insurance? I have some savings, but those are diminishing quickly and as I have now exhausted all my Unemployment Compensation with no employment options, I have no current income. My health issues will all be considered pre-existing even if I were financially able to purchase health insurance.

- Joseph

If you live in a state that expands its Medicaid program as part of health reform, you will be eligible for coverage regardless of whether you qualify as disabled. Medicaid will extend to everyone with an income below 133% of the federal poverty level. With no current income, that would include you. New Jersey will expand its program; however Pennsylvania will not.

If you live in Pennsylvania, you can instead purchase an insurance policy on an exchange. The health reform law requires insurance companies to accept all applicants regardless of preexisting conditions with no additional premiums. The exchanges will begin accepting applications on October 1, and coverage will become effective on January 1. However, because of a quirk in the law, you would not be eligible for a subsidy to help with the cost, if your income falls below the federal poverty level.

More coverage
  • Questions about the healthcare law? Ask our expert
  • I'm unemployed: What happens when Obamacare begins?
  • What kind of insurance policies will be offered by healthcare exchange?
  • A final possibility for coverage may be Medicare. If your disability is total, you could qualify for benefits under that program. It would begin two years after you become eligible for disability benefits under Social Security.


    Robert I. Field, Ph.D., J.D., M.P.H. is a professor of law at the Earle Mack School of Law and professor of health management and policy at the School of Public Health at Drexel University. He also writes for The Field Clinic blog. Ask Rob your questions about the new healthcare laws.

    Professor, Drexel University Kline School of Law & Dornsife School of Public Health
    We encourage respectful comments but reserve the right to delete anything that doesn't contribute to an engaging dialogue.
    Help us moderate this thread by flagging comments that violate our guidelines.

    Comment policy: comments are intended to be civil, friendly conversations. Please treat other participants with respect and in a way that you would want to be treated. You are responsible for what you say. And please, stay on topic. If you see an objectionable post, please report it to us using the "Report Abuse" option.

    Please note that comments are monitored by staff. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable. Personal attacks, especially on other participants, are not permitted. We reserve the right to permanently block any user who violates these terms and conditions.

    Additionally comments that are long, have multiple paragraph breaks, include code, or include hyperlinks may not be posted.

    Read 0 comments
    comments powered by Disqus
    Latest Health Videos
    Also on
    letter icon Newsletter