What should I look for in an oncology care provider?
Question: What are some things to look for when trying to choose an oncology care provider?
Dr. Perre: When it comes to choosing a provider, it is essential for patients to find a provider who will function with them as a team. Some factors to consider when choosing a care team may include provider expertise and experience; treatment philosophy; and treatment results. Additionally, a provider should ideally be:
- Receptive to questions and answer them in a way that the patient understands. The provider should not appear threatened by the patient’s questions – after all, it is their life!
- Respectful towards the patient.
- Both an optimist and a realist.
- Aware of the latest technology and available treatment options, and be willing to send you outside their facility if needed. *
If you have a question about cancer prevention or treatment, the oncologists, surgeons and other health experts of Cancer Treatment Centers of America® are available to answer. Submit your questions »
Anthony Perre, M.D., is Director of New Patient Intake and Vice Chief of Administrative Affairs at Cancer Treatment Centers of America® in Philadelphia. In addition to his special interest in cancer survivorship, his clinical expertise includes hospital medicine, venous thromboembolic disease and medical informatics. He has been recognized as a “Top Doctor” by Philadelphia magazine, and in 2013 was recognized as one of Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors®.
* This content is provided and sponsored by Cancer Treatment Centers of America ®. The information is provided for general information only and should not be used for diagnosis or treatment, or as a substitute for consultation with a physician or health care professional. If you have specific questions or concerns about your health, you should consult your health care professional.