Away from a gym on vacation? Never had much interest in joining a big box club? Work and home constraints making it impossible to get to a gym? In all reality, you do not need a gym or equipment to get an incredible workout while getting your core and all the areas that you want to work on in shape.
Most people waste their time at the gym doing multiple reps of small muscle groups. If you put 10 exercises together you could have a full body workout with better results than most formal gym programs. Looking for a little cardio? Then add one minute of jumping jacks or one minute of jump rope in between each exercise for the most effective way to get in shape and burn calories.
- Plank – Get into the push up position and either hold it or drop down to your elbows. Hold this for 1 minute three times.
- Side plank – Lay on either side. Push up on your elbow and your forearm so that your midsection is not touching the ground. Hold 1 minute three times. Repeat on the other side.
- Reverse plank – lie on your back, push up on your heels and your hands. Hold for 1 minute three times.
- Push-ups – Either from your knees or your feet. Make sure to go all the way to the floor.
- Lunges – Take a large step so that one foot is in front of the other. Putting the weight in the front foot in the heel, bend the knee so that the back knee almost touches the ground. Perform 30 times.
- Squats – Start with your feet shoulder width apart. Turn your toes out slightly. Putting the weight in your heels sit back like you are sitting in a chair. Go down as far as you can and then come back up. Perform 30 times.
- Mountain climbers – Starting in the push-up position, quickly bring one knee up to the chest, then kick that leg back out while bringing the other knee up to the chest. Perform 1 minute sets for 3 times.
- Burpees or squat thrusts – Start in the standing position. Crouch down to the floor and place your palms flat on the floor. Kick your legs straight out into a push-up position then bring them back into the crouch position. Then jump up so you are back to the starting position. Repeat 30 times.
- Bridging – Lie on your back with both knees bent up and your feet flat on the floor. Pushing through the heels push your butt off the floor as high as you can. Lower it back down slowly until it is almost touching the floor then lift up again. Repeat this 30 times.
- Cross over push-ups – Start in the push-up position. Beginning with your right hand, touch your left shoulder then place it down. Then touch your right shoulder with your left hand. Repeat this 30 times on each side.
These exercises are guaranteed to increase your core strength and combined with proper diet, they can be an excellent jump start to lose weight. Any athlete involved in sports should be able to perform all of these for the prescribed amount of time without difficulty in order to be proficient in his/her sport. As always, make sure you consult your doctor or health care professional before beginning an exercise routine.
Read more Sports Doc for Sports Medicine and Fitness.