Makes 24 bars
6 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing the pan
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1½ cups rolled oats
1½ cups whole-wheat white flour
1 cup light brown sugar, plus one tablespoon
9 ounces, or about 2 medium stalks, rhubarb (frozen is OK if thawed and squeezed to remove water)
10 ounces strawberries, tops removed
Juice of one lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat.
4. Add the applesauce, oats, flour, 1 cup of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt, and give it a good mix.
5. Take out 6 tablespoons of the mixture and set aside for the topping.
6. Using the back of a spoon or your hands, press the rest of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish until it is spread evenly.
7. Chop the rhubarb and strawberry quite fine and put into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and toss to coat all of the fruit.
8. Scatter the fruit over the crumb base and sprinkle the reserved topping on the fruit.
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumbs are golden.
10. Let the bars cool in the tray, then cut into about 24 pieces.
Adapted from "A Modern Way to Eat" by Anna Jones
Per serving: 106 calories, 3 grams fat, 8 milligrams cholesterol, 26 milligrams sodium, 19 milligrams potassium, 18 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram dietary fiber, 7 grams sugar, 2 grams protein