Makes 6 servings
Butter to grease the baking dish, plus 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
3 cups coarse cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon each: celery salt, salt and pepper
1 quart oysters, liquor reserved
1 cup finely diced celery, divided (optional)
About 1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Michelle Kindt, Newtown Square
1. Butter a 2-quart oven-safe casserole or baking dish.
2. In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, celery salt, salt, pepper and melted butter. Gently pat one-third of the mixture into the bottom of the dish.
3. Place half of the oysters over the crumbs and top with half of the celery, if desired. Repeat, adding another one-third of the crumbs and then the remaining oysters and celery. Top with remaining crumbs.
4. Combine the reserved oyster liquor with enough milk to make 2 1/4 cups. Pour mixture over crumbs. Sprinkle the paprika on top.
5. Bake in a preheated 450-degree oven for 30 minutes.
Per serving: 502 calories, 16 grams protein, 35 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams sugar, 33 grams fat, 116 milligrams cholesterol, 1,034 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.