Makes 4 to 6 servings
8 cups packed arugula (2 large bunches), washed, patted dry, stems trimmed
2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded radish
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Herbs (basil, cilantro, etc.)
Onions (through Sept.)
Late May, early June
Beets (through Dec.)
Summer squash (to Oct.)
Parmesan cheese curls (formed using a vegetable peeler)
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, mushrooms and shredded radish. Drizzle the oil over top and toss gently.
2. Sprinkle the lemon juice on the salad. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss gently again.
3. Serve salad with a sprinkling of Parmesan curls on top.
Per serving (based on 6): 108 calories, 4 grams protein, 3 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams sugar, 9 grams fat, 6 milligrams cholesterol, 119 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber.
Fresh locally grown produce at area farmers markets:
Asparagus (through June)
Mid- to late June
Want to Know?
* For information on the Food Trust or its markets, call 215-568-0830 or visit www.thefoodtrust.org.
* For information on Farm to City, its markets and consumer-supported agriculture, visit www.farmtocity.org or www.csacenter.org.