Beet and Almond Salad
- From chef George Sabatino4 serving(s)
3 large red or golden beets
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 tablespoon honey, local if possible
1/2 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the beets and salt in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a moderate simmer and cook until the beets are tender.
2. While the beets are cooking, toast the almonds in the oven on a tray for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
3. To make the salad dressing, place a mixing bowl on the counter with a damp towel beneath it. Add the juices and honey to the bowl and combine with a whisk. Season with a pinch of salt. Slowly add the oil while whisking the entire time to create an emulsified vinaigrette. (The dressing will hold in the fridge for a week; the recipe will likely make more than you need.)
4. While the beets are still warm, peel the skins, then slice them thinly or cut into small wedges. Mix the almonds and beets in a bowl and toss with some of the dressing. Season with a pinch of salt. The salad can be served warm, but is just as good if left to marinate for a day in the fridge.
Per serving: 282 calories; 4 grams protein; 14 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams sugar; 25 grams fat; no cholesterol; 640 milligrams sodium; 4 grams dietary fiber.