1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup fruit preserves
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds.
3. Add the butter and cold water and pulse until the dough holds together when pressed.
4. Grease a 9-by13-inch baking dish, line it with parchment paper, and grease the parchment paper.
5. Divide the dough mixture in half and press half into the prepared baking dish, using the back of a spatula to press down evenly.
6. Spread the preserves evenly on top of the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly on top of the preserves and gently press down, using the back of the spatula.
7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Cool, cut into 1½-by-4-inch bars, and serve.
Per bar: 207 calories; 2 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 12 grams sugar; 9 grams fat; 23 milligrams cholesterol; 142 milligrams sodium; 1 gram dietary fiber.