For the cupcakes:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lime
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted, plus extra
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
4 ounces white chocolate bits, melted
8 1/2-ounce bag (about 1 cup) pectin-based jelly beans, finely chopped and tossed with a bit of flour to coat
For the frosting:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1. Heat the oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
2. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and both zests until light and fluffy. Add the whole eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix half of the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture, then half of the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
4. Gently but thoroughly fold in first the melted white chocolate, then the bits of jelly beans. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cups, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, in a large bowl use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the raspberry jam and stir until just combined. Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information per serving: 470 calories; 240 calories from fat (51 percent of total calories); 27 g fat (16 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 130 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 34 g sugar; 5 g protein; 180 mg sodium.