10 ounces dark chocolate, cut into pieces
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup strong espresso
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup almond flour or ground almonds
Butter and matzo meal or matzo cake meal for preparing cake pan
Optional toppings: fresh fruit, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or candied orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare a 9-inch cake pan, or 6 to 8 ramekins, by buttering the bottoms and sides, lining the bottom with a circle of parchment cut to fit, and dusting the buttered sides with matzo flour or meal. You could also bake these in muffin pans lined with paper baking cups.
2. Melt the chocolate with the butter in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the espresso and sugar and stir until combined. Remove from heat and add the eggs one at a time until well blended. Stir in the almond flour.
3. Bake in prepared pans until the sides of the cake look firm but the center sill appears soft. The will take about 35 minutes for a cake pan, or 12 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the individual-serving pans you use.
4. Allow cake(s) to cool fully. Place a flat plate to cover the pan and invert. The cake should drop from the cake pan onto the plate.
5. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and/or fresh berries, or drizzle with warm chocolate sauce and candied orange peel (or any combination of toppings).
Per serving: 449 calories, 10 grams protein, 33 grams carbohydrates, 27 grams sugar, 32 grams fat, 163 milligrams cholesterol, 168 milligrams sodium, 3 grams dietary fiber.
| Baked good; Cake; Healthy