La Calaca Feliz Mole Verde
From chef Lucio Palazzo at La Calaca Feliz. Makes 2 quarts.
1 onion, sliced
1 head of garlic, roasted
1/4 cup oil or lard, divided use
2 serrano chiles
4 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded
2 quarts of chicken stock, warmed
1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 bunch of parsley
1/4 bunch of thyme, picked
1/2 bunch of epazote
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 clove, toasted
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
2 berries allspice, toasted
1/2 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted
5 peppercorns of black pepper, toasted
Salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste
1. Sweat onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil or lard.
2. Add tomatillos, chiles, and stock. Simmer until tomatillos are just tender, just a few minutes.
3. In batches, puree in a blender until smooth with herbs, spices, and seeds.
4. Refry in remaining lard or oil, stirring constantly. Reduce for about an hour until thickened and well developed.
5. Season with salt and a little sugar if necessary.
Note: Mexican oregano and epazote can be found at most Mexican markets, such as the ones on Ninth Street.
Per serving: 238 calories, 7 grams protein, 11 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram sugar, 19 grams fat, no cholesterol, 617 milligrams sodium, 3 grams dietary fiber.