6 unsalted matzo boards
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Maple syrup, for drizzling
1. In a large bowl, crumble the matzo boards and combine them with the beaten eggs. Set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. When the foam subsides, add the apples to the pan, decrease the heat to medium, and cook until they begin to soften, 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the sugar and cinnamon and continue to cook until the apples begin to caramelize, turning a soft, sticky golden brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour the matzo-egg mixture directly over the apples, and distribute it evenly using a wooden spoon. Cook until the egg mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes. Cover and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes more.
4. Remove the cover, and give the pan a few good shakes. Carefully place a large dinner plate over the skillet, and invert it. Slide the brei back into the skillet and continue to cook for 5 minutes, uncovered, apple-side up.
5. Slice into wedges and serve with warm maple syrup.
Per serving: 382 calories, 10 grams protein, 63 grams carbohydrates, 23 grams sugar, 11 grams fat, 179 milligrams cholesterol, 105 milligrams sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber.