From Shake, Stir, Pour: Fresh Homegrown Cocktails by Katie Loeb1 serving(s)
For the spiced syrup:
1 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
6 whole cloves
1 star anise
4 allspice berries
4 black peppercorns
Pinch red chile flakes
1 cup (710 ml) sugar
For the hot toddy:
1 tea bag or 1 teaspoon of loose tea in a tea ball
2 strips each of orange and lemon rind, studded with a few cloves
6 ounces boiling water
1 1/2 ounces rum, brandy or whiskey
1 ounce spiced syrup
1. Make the syrup: Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan and add the spices. Allow to boil for 3 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Lower heat and allow the syrup to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool to room temperature. Strain out spices before using and
funnel into clean glass bottles for storage. Refrigerate for up to one month.
4. Make the toddy: Place tea bag or tea ball into a large mug.
5. Add orange and lemon rinds. Cover with boiling water and steep for 3-5 minutes.
6. Remove tea bag/ball, add spiced syrup and spirit of your choice, and stir to combine.