This recipe will make a thick and chewy pizza similar to a deep-dish pie. It will serve two as a main dish or four as a side dish.1 serving(s)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons instant-rise yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup warm water, or as needed
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
1. Lightly oil the inside of a large bowl and set aside. In a food processor, combine the flour, yeast, salt and Italian seasoning. With the machine running, add the tablespoon of olive oil through the feed tube, then slowly add as much water as needed to form a slightly sticky dough ball.
2. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 1 to 2 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to the prepared bowl, turning the dough to coat it with oil. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside to rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. While the dough is resting, make the sauce. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic powder, olives, capers, parsley, basil, oregano, sugar, red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Generously oil the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Flatten the dough, then shape it to fit inside the slow cooker and place it inside. Spread the dough with the reserved sauce. To prevent water condensation from dripping onto the pizza, drape a clean kitchen towel over the top of the cooker, then put on the lid. Cook on high for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
5. If using vegan mozzarella, sprinkle it on the pizza after an hour and 15 minutes, then cook for 30 minutes longer to allow it to melt.
Makes 1 pizza