Vegan, Gluten-Free Thumbprint Cookies
From Sweet Freedom Bakery (yields about 34 cookies)
2 3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 cup garbanzo-fava flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 1/4 cup coconut sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup coconut milk
Jar of fruit puree, fruit of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line large sheet tray with parchment paper.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients into a large bowl. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the coconut sugar, oil and vanilla until well mixed.
3. On low speed, add the flour mixture and coconut milk alternately, a little at a time, until well mixed, about 3 minutes.
4. Using a #30 scoop, place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between the cookies.
5. Using the back of the scoop, make a deep indentation in the center of each cookie (dipping
in water avoids scoop sticking to dough). Fill each indentation with a heaping teaspoon of fruit puree. Sprinkle the edges of the cookies with coconut sugar.
6. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate 180º and bake for 5 more minutes.