Swedish Rye Bread
Adapted from Cooks.com recipe (Makes 3 loaves)
3 cups hot water
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups bran cereal or Bran Buds
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups instant dry milk
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons orange peel
2 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 cups medium rye flour
7 1/2 to 8 cups white flour
1. In a large bowl, combine water, molasses, oil, cereal, brown sugar, dry milk, salt, carrots, and orange peel.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and ginger. Let stand 3 minutes.
3. Spoon flour into measuring cup. Add yeast, rye flour, and 3 cups white flour to the yeast mixture. Then, gradually stir in the white flour in batches. After a few batches, you will have to work in the remainder of the white flour (about 11/2 to 2 cups flour) by kneading it with your hands. Knead until the dough is soft.
4. Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and let it rise until it has doubled.
5. Shape into three loaves and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Brush with butter.
Per serving (based on 45 servings): 161 calories, 5 grams protein, 32 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fat, 1 milligram cholesterol, 208 milligrams sodium, 3 grams dietary fiber.