1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers, finely chopped or 3-4 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Powdered sugar glaze (optional)
1. Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; preheat oven to 325.
2. Heat milk with lavender almost to a boil, then let steep until cool.
3. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream butter gradually. Add sugar, then eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with lavender milk in three different batches.
4. Mix until batter is just blended. Do not overbeat. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
5. When completely cool, if desired, ice with a powdered sugar glaze made with 3 tablespoons milk and enough powdered sugar to make a thick but runny paste. Garnish with a spring of fresh lavender around cake, or sprinkle additional finely chopped lavender on glaze before it dries.
Per serving (based on 12 and without glaze): 215 calories, 3 grams protein, 33 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams fat, 47 milligrams cholesterol, 346 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber.