4 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups cubed winter squash, such as butternut
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
Pinch of salt
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped parsley
For the vinaigrette:
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled, mashed
Salt and pepper to taste
Mixed greens for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. Toss the squash with olive oil, cumin, chili powder, sage, and pinch of salt. Roast in oven until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and toast the pumpkin seeds until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, pumpkin seeds, red onion, carrot, celery, and parsley with the squash.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients. Add desired amount of the vinaigrette to the quinoa/vegetable mixture (or serve it on the side), and salt and pepper to taste. Serve on a bed of greens.
Per serving: 391 calories (47 percent from fat), 21 grams fat (3 grams sat. fat), 45 grams carbohydrates, 9 grams protein, 113 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 6 grams fiber.