Rush Hour Gourmet
Faux PhoMakes 4 servings
2 ounces rice noodles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon chopped
1 tablespoon honey
48 ounces chicken broth
2 to 3 tea bags herbal
rooibos chai tea
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/4 to 1/2 pound rib-eye or strip steak, very thinly sliced, pounded thin
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup basil or mint, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
1 lime, quartered
1. For noodles, heat large saucepan of water to a boil. Prepare according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and ginger. Cook until ginger yields its fragrance, about 1 minute. Stir in the honey, letting it meld with the onion and ginger, about 30 seconds. Add broth; heat to a boil.
3. Lower heat; add tea bags. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tea releases its fragrance and flavors, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in fish sauce; raise heat to medium-high. When mixture reaches a boil, lower heat to a slow boil. Add beef. Cook until meat is medium-rare, about 2 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat; discard tea bags. Stir in noodles, bean sprouts, basil or mint, and jalapenos. Taste for seasoning. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing at the table.
Per serving: 228 calories, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 32 g carbohydrates, 12 g protein, 829 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.