In this rendition of chicken and sausage, the sausage takes on a reduced role, flavoring but not weighing down the dish.
Braised Chicken Thighs With Peppers and Sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 small skinless bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed of fat (13/4 pounds total)
Fresh black pepper
One 4-ounce link sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
8 ounces mild peppers, such as Italian long, or bell peppers, cored, seeded; cut into strips
One onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
11/2 cups homemade or no-salt chicken broth 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs, oregano, cracked rosemary, basil, thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick, ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; add half to the hot pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining thighs.
3. Reduce the heat to medium; add sausage by the pinch. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring and breaking up any clumps.
4. Add the sliced peppers and onion. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are soft and starting to brown. Add the flour and stir to coat, then add the tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and dried herbs; season with salt and pepper, then stir until well incorporated.
5. Slip the browned chicken thighs into the sauce. Increase heat to medium-high. Once the sauce comes to a boil, cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
6. Uncover, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot.
Per serving: 290 calories, 29 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugar.