Makes 4 servings
1 pound okra, washed and
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups finely grated fresh or
dried unsweetened coco- nut
3 to 4 small green chili pep- pers, chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon
1 dried red chili, broken into
12 to 15 curry leaves
1. Cut okra along the cross-section, wiping knife between cuts.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet over moderately high flame. Add okra and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove okra from pan and allow it to cool.
3. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine coconut, green chili peppers, yogurt, and 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, and process until pureed.
4. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet over moderately high flame and add remaining teaspoon of mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to pop, add dried red chili and curry leaves, being careful not to let the chili burn.
5. Pour coconut-yogurt mixture into pan and simmer over low heat for a few minutes. Add salt. Gently stir in okra, cover and set aside for 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
Per serving: 334 calories, 8 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams sugar, 27 grams fat, 6 milligrams cholesterol, 55 milligrams sodium, 9 grams dietary fiber.