8 gifts for sriracha lovers
To most people, Sriracha is just another hot sauce. To Sriracha lovers, there are two distinct categories for hot sauce: Sriracha and everything else.
Sriracha devotees are rabid. They put the beloved Thai sauce on everything. They voted in that “special flavor” crowdsourcing contest that Lay’s created because they wanted to see Sriracha potato chips become a reality.
Their fervor has resulted in burning the majority of the taste buds right off their tongues, and surely done some damage to their stomach linings. They don’t care. Every one of their meals is full of flavor.
Here’s a bunch of gifts that will make any rabid Sriracha fan jump for joy:
1. Ode to Sriracha Print ($10, Drunk Girl Designs): Wouldn’t this print look dazzling framed in the Sriracha lover’s kitchen? It’s even emblazoned with the Sriracha lover’s motto: “put it on everything.”
2. True Love iPhone Case ($35, Josh Lafayette Designs): Your true love often shares every meal with you, right? Right. That’s why this iPhone case is fitting for the true Sriracha devotee.
3. Sriracha Bloody Mary Mix ($7, Powell & Mahoney): A Bloody Mary, by definition, is already a spicy cocktail, but horseradish and a dash of Tabasco is just kid stuff to the Sriracha lover. Help them pep up the brunch staple with this extra-spicy Sriracha Bloody Mary Mix.
4. The Sriracha Cookbook ($15, Amazon): Most Sriracha devotees are content to dump the sauce on everything from eggs to chicken to pretty much anything, but for more ambitious cooks, The Sriracha Cookbook offers up 50 recipes (Spicy Ceviche, Bacon-Sriracha Cornbread, Peach-Sriracha Sorbet, and more) that highlight the sauce’s best attributes.
5. Sriracha Studs ($16, Furbish Studio): The Sriracha lover wants everyone to know where her devotion lies, but smothering sauce on her face would get her fired (and it would probably hurt). These Sriracha earrings will let everyone know how much she loves this spicy sauce, without making her look like a psychopath.
6. I Heart Sriracha Tote Bag ($16, The Oatmeal): This is the perfect tote bag for the Sriracha lover to cart home groceries that will inevitably be doused in sauce.
7. Lawless Jerky ($11, Mouth): If you saw the name on the package and wished that this jerky were made by Lucy Lawless… you are not alone. Alas, Lawless Jerky is made by a former lawyer who gave up his law career to make beef jerky with all-natural ingredients. It’s available in a variety of flavors, one of which (“Sweet Sriracha”) blends the spicy sauce with brown sugar and garlic for an incredible snack. The jerky is great, but we’d love to know what this guy’s parents think about that career switch.
8. Sriracha Mug ($10, Think Geek): Do you think the Sriracha devotee puts the sauce in everything? Even their coffee? Hopefully not. Hopefully they’ll just enjoy their morning coffee in this mug emblazoned with the Sriracha logo, so everyone will know what’s coming for lunch (hint: something with Sriracha on it).
Amanda Waas is the creator of You’re Welcome, a gift guide site for all of life’s awkward occasions. Her writing has appeared in Every Day With Rachael Ray, Glamour, Time Out New York, AOL’s Shelterpop and DIY Life, and various others. Follow her on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook.