Dinner on Deadline
This is a noodly tangle you can feel good about serving.
Summer Squash Pasta With Green Goddess Dressing
4 to 6 servings
2 medium zucchini
2 yellow squash
1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for serving
Leaves from 1 or 2 large stems of fresh basil
Leaves from 2 to 4 stems of flat-leaf parsley
Leaves from 2 or 3 stems of tarragon
About 15 chives
1 small clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of plain yogurt (whole-milk, low or nonfat)
1/4 cup of raw pine nuts
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup of Parmigiano cheese
1. Trim the ends of the zucchini and squash. Cut into very thin strips with a julienne vegetable peeler or a serrated knife. Place the strips in a colander set in the sink. Sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt, and toss to distribute. Let vegetables sit for 15 minutes.
2. Coarsely chop the basil (reserving a few leaves for garnish), parsley, tarragon and chives, to taste, the garlic, and the anchovy; transfer them to a food processor or blender as you work. Squeeze in 2 tablespoons of juice from the lemon half; process until finely chopped. Add the vinegar, oil, yogurt and pine nuts. Season lightly with the pepper. Puree until smooth, then add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer three-quarters of the dressing to a mixing bowl.
3. Gently squeeze moisture from the squash. Pat dry with paper towels, then add the squash to the dressing in the bowl. Toss gently to coat.
4. Divide among individual plates. Scatter some of the cheese over each portion, and garnish with basil and serve right away.
- Adapted from Vibrant Food (Ten Speed Press).
Per serving (based on 6): 130 calories, 5 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 460 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugar