5 easy alternatives to breakfast cereal
Boxed breakfast cereal may be fast, but it can be less than nutritious and leave you hungry in just a couple of hours. A good, hearty breakfast doesn’t have to mean waking up an hour early. Try these easy alternatives to breakfast cereal and experience a delicious, filling breakfast every day of the week.
- Breakfast Quesadillas: With just a few minutes in the skillet, a breakfast quesadilla is a fast, flexible breakfast. Add fresh vegetables, or whatever leftovers you have in the fridge (sautéed greens, beans, roasted potatoes, deli meat) for an impromptu, portable meal.
- Muesli: Oatmeal is a wonderfully healthy breakfast, but in the heat of the summer a hot bowl of oats can be less than appetizing. That’s when it’s time to switch to muesli. This filling mix of raw oats, fruit, and nuts can be soaked in milk (dairy or non) overnight to create a cold and refreshing breakfast that’s ready to go when you are.
- Mug Omelets: Microwave cooking gets a bad rap, but it’s a surprisingly fast and easy way to make light and fluffy scrambled eggs. Add in a few ingredients from the fridge (peppers, ham, broccoli, cheese, etc.) and you’ve got a full breakfast in minutes.
- Baked Oatmeal: Baked oatmeal can be made on Sunday evening and enjoyed all week long for breakfast. Eat it cold or quickly reheated in the microwave for a filling and healthful breakfast in seconds. Add in a variety of fruit, nuts, or even chocolate for a new flavor every week.
- Smoothies: The smoothie trend isn’t new, but making them filling enough to keep you going all morning can be tricky. Try adding in dry oats, avocado, or nut butters for added protein and belly filling power. Don’t have time to build a smoothie every morning? Make-ahead smoothie packs are a great way to save time when you’re on the run.
For the past five years, Beth has been dishing out healthy, inexpensive recipes and teaching kitchen basics through her popular blog, Budget Bytes and the corresponding cookbook, Budget Bytes – Over 100 Easy Delicious Recipes to Slash Your Grocery Bill in Half. She loves getting creative in the kitchen and hopes to show others just how fun and rewarding cooking can be.