9 amazing cakes to make for birthdays
If you’re not a baker, I can imagine that baking a cake from scratch can seem like a completely overwhelming and exhausting task. I promise you- it’s not always like that! Cakes from a box are fine and all (I grew up eating them and actually enjoyed them quite a bit), but a cake made from scratch is infinitely better and it’s not much more difficult to do. Check out these 9 AMAZING CAKES TO MAKE FOR BIRTHDAYS. If you’re making a birthday cake, it should be something special– and these cakes are all special indeed. Click the recipe titles below to reach the actual recipe.
1. RED VELVET CHEESECAKE CAKE (from RecipeGirl): It’s kind of the most amazing cake ever… a red velvet layer-cake with a layer of cheesecake stuck in the middle… topped with cream cheese icing.
2. KIT KAT CAKE (from RecipeGirl): Surround a cake with Kit Kats, wrap it with a bow and top it with M&M’s. How great is that?
3. CARROT CAKE w/ BROWN BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (from The Fauxmartha): This carrot cake looks perfectly delicious- no icky nuts or raisins hiding inside- and it happens to be a nice cake for Easter too.
4. THE PERFECT WHITE CAKE (from i am baker): This is a great basic white cake- the flavor is fantastic and the texture is truly perfection.
5. SNICKERDOODLE CAKE w/ BROWN SUGAR- CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM (from Foodie with Family): The cake itself is a cinnamon vanilla butter cake. It’s moist, it’s cinnamon-y, and it’s layered around and slathered with a most delicious brown sugar cinnamon butter cream.
6. THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE (from My Baking Addiction): This cake is dark, moist, rich and incredibly decadent. Be sure to enjoy it with a very large glass of ice cold milk!
7. STRAWBERRY SWIRL DREAM CAKE (from Savory Simple): Made with frozen strawberries, take a bite of this cake with your eyes closed and you’ll be transported to a warm summer day and all of the fresh flavors of the farmer’s market.
8. FUNFETTI CAKE (from Baked Bree): If you have never made a cake from scratch before, this is a great one to start with. It is simple and the worth the extra effort.
9. SNICKERS CAKE (from Brown Eyed Baker): This cake fits into “special occasion” cake territory here. It’s mighty impressive, and it truly tastes just like a Snickers bar.
Lori Lange is a former elementary school teacher who founded RecipeGirl.com in 2006. The Recipe Girl Cookbook is in stores now; you can watch a trailer for it here. Her 12-year-old son Brooks has his own food blog at RecipeBoy.com.