Dinner on Deadline
This dish pulls off a small feat: It's light-tasting yet hearty, just right for a crisp fall evening. Serve on its own or over rice.
Chicken, Spinach and Lentil Coconut Curry
Makes about 4 servings
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup red Indian curry paste
2/3 cup dried red or green lentils
2 1/2 cups low-fat coconut milk
2 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
14 ounces washed baby spinach
1 small jalapeno chili pepper (optional)
Leaves of 8 stems cilantro
1. Peel the sweet potatoes; cut the flesh into 1-inch chunks. Cut the chicken into 3/4-inch pieces, discarding any fat.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for no more than 1 minute. Add the chicken and stir to coat; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the meat loses its raw look.
3. Add the sweet potatoes and lentils, stirring to coat, then add the coconut milk and broth. Once the liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every so often. The sweet potatoes should be just tender.
4. Uncover; stir in the spinach in two batches. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, just until wilted. Remove from the heat.
5. Meanwhile, cut the lime in half and squeeze its juice into a bowl. Cut the jalapeno pepper crosswise into thin rounds. Chop the cilantro.
6. Sprinkle the lime juice over the curry, then the pepper slices, and cilantro. Serve warm.
Per serving: 530 calories, 36 g protein, 40 g carbohydrates, 24 g fat, 11 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 14 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar.