Dinner on Deadline
When we think of one-pot dinners, we gravitate to stir-fries and casseroles. But this baked pancake is a fine alternative.
Sausage and Apple Dutch Baby
Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pound loose
3 medium apples
1 small yellow onion,
1 tablespoon sugar
maple syrup, to serve
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a blender, combine eggs, flour, milk, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Coat a large cast-iron or oven-safe nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat it over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat, until just starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Peel and core 2 of the apples; cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Add apples and onion to the skillet, sauteing until just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet and remove from the heat.
4. Core the remaining apple, then cut crosswise into very thin slices.
5. Pour batter evenly over the mixture. Arrange apple slices over the top; sprinkle with the sugar. Bake 20 minutes. Slice into wedges and drizzle with syrup.
Per serving: 380 calories; 17 grams fat; 145 milligrams cholesterol; 39 grams carbohydrate; 3 grams fiber; 25 grams sugar; 17 grams protein; 460 milligrams sodium.