What do Philadelphians have in common?
Last winter, four Temple Film and Media Arts graduate school alumni met for dinner and cogitated that question. And they quickly realized that the answer was the love of food.
The result is a 13-part short documentary series called Love Philly Food, showcasing how restaurateurs’ family lives and histories influence everything from the food they serve to the ambience they cultivate.
The team captured the stories of:
- Bill Zacharatos of The Creperie at Temple (Crepe Truck)
- Ephream Amare Seyoum of Dahlak Paradise
- Valerie Erwin of Geechee Girl Rice Café
- Gil Ortale of Gil’s Canelé
- Joe Cesa of Joe’s Coffee
- Silvia Gardyasz of Krakus Market
- Sal Kucuk of Leziz Turkish Cuisine
- Jenny Louie, Christine Gyaw, and Mee Mee Chiu of Rangoon Burmese Restaurant
- Kelsey Tagg and Chloe Stetner of Red Hook Coffee and Tea
- Lucretia Sulimay of Sulimay’s Restaurant
- Don Francisco Rivera of Tortilleria San Roman
- María Mejia of El Sabor de María
To see these documentaries, go to the Love Philly Food channel on Philly In Focus, a multimedia platform that connects Philadelphia through video and other interactive content. Comcast customers can also watch them free through Xfinity On Demand, in the "Philly In Focus" folder of the Get Local section.