Makes 20 pieces
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon loose-leaf Earl Grey tea
10 ounces high-quality white chocolate, such as Valrhona Ivoire, chopped (35 percent cacao solids; see head note)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces (1 cup) slivered almonds, toasted and ground to a pebbly consistency in a food processor (see note)
1. Warm the cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Once you see a few bubbles appear around the edges, remove from heat, stir in the tea, and let steep for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the chopped white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan with a few inches of barely bubbling water (do not let the water boil; medium-low heat). Gently melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove the bowl from the pan.
3. Strain the infused cream through a fine-mesh strainer, pouring it directly into the melted white chocolate, stirring to incorporate. (Discard the solids.) Whisk in the vanilla extract. Let the mixture cool in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, until it thickens to a scoopable consistency.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place the ground almonds in a bowl.
5. Use two tableware spoons or a No. 70 disher (1 tablespoon) to make a total of 20 dollops of the truffle mixture and place them on the baking sheet, spaced at least 1 inch apart. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes, or until just firm enough to shape.
6. Working quickly, roll each portion between your hands to form a smooth ball. Dip each one in the ground almonds to coat completely, returning them to the baking sheet to set. Once they're firm, serve or store.
Store in an airtight container at a cool room temperature (65 to 70 degrees), for up to 1 week. You may have some almond coating left over.
Valrhona's Ivoire 35 percent baking bar is available online and at kitchen stores such as Sur La Table.
Nutrition per piece (using half the almonds): 110 calories, 1 gram protein, 8 grams carbohydrates, 9 grams fat, 10 milligrams cholesterol, 10 milligrams sodium, no dietary fiber, 7 grams sugar.