Summer birthdays can be tricky. It is difficult to wrangle friends to gather during prime vacation weather. It can be super hot or worse: rain can washout your a beach or pool party. Bugs can make picnics a disaster. But there’s always one good thing about summer birthdays: cake! These five cakes bring together fun, summery flavors to make cakes that are totally summer birthday worthy.
Click on the recipe title to be taken to the recipe:
1. Vanilla Blackberry-Mascarpone Cake for Two (Sweetapolita) features my favorite summer combination vanilla and blackberries along with creamy, tangy mascarpone cheese for a cake that is perfect for a birthday dinner for two.
2. Summer Celebration Cake (BBC Food) The name gives it away! This is a great cake for summer because it uses two berries that are ripe right now: raspberries and blueberries.
3. Summer Berry Mousse Cake (Yue’s Handicrafts) steps away from the traditional flour-based birthday cake and transforms berries into an ethereal creation that would be at home at an elegant birthday party.
4. Watermelon Swiss Roll (STL Cooks) turns an ordinary Swiss roll into something extraordinary—it’s dyed to look like that beloved summer staple, watermelon.
5. Pink Rainbow Lemonade Cake with Buttercream Icing (Better Baking Bible) isn’t just pretty to look at. The creamy filling tastes like everyone’s favorite summertime drink, lemonade.
Rachel Rappaport is a native Baltimorean, recipe developer and cookbook author. She has been sharing her original recipes on her blog, Coconut & Lime, since 2004. Her next book, Cooking with Frank’s RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce: Delicious Recipes That Bring the Heat will be available in stores October 2014.
View the original at Parade or follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Google+