5 Crowd Pleasing Summer Appetizers To Start Your Party Right
Jennifer Segal is the chef and photographer behind Once Upon a Chef, a family-friendly recipe blog featuring tested and perfected recipes with step-by-step photos.
1. Grilled Pesto Shrimp (pictured above) – There are endless ways to use pesto — the Italian sauce made from olive oil, basil, garlic, nuts and Parmesan cheese — but this has to be one of my favorites.
2. Roasted Tomato Salsa – Utterly addictive, this bright and spicy salsa combines vine-ripened tomatoes, onions, garlic, Serrano chiles, cilantro and fresh lime. Unlike most salsas, which are raw, the vegetables in this recipe are roasted — a technique that intensifies the flavor of the tomatoes, mellows the onions and garlic, and adds a light touch of smokiness.
3. Zucchini Fritters with Feta & Dill – The word fritter usually conjures up something heavy and deep-fried, but these zucchini pancakes are as light and delicate as can be. Shredded zucchini is combined with eggs, garlic, scallions, feta and dill, and then pan-fried in olive oil until crisp on the exterior and tender on the interior.
4. Roasted Garlic Guacamole – Traditional guacamole is made with raw onions, which are flavorful yet pungent. This version, made with roasted garlic, has all of the flavor of the traditional guacamole but none of the unpleasant aftertaste. It’s always a crowd-pleaser!
5. Grilled Chicken Wings with Seasoned Buffalo Sauce – Classic Buffalo wings are fried but I love the flavor and ease of cooking them on the grill — they are truly no fuss, no muss and finger lickin’ good! The key is to cook them over a moderate flame so that the fat renders out and the skin gets nice and crispy.