Rise-and-shine: 10 delicious weekend breakfast recipes
Jennifer Segal is the chef and photographer behind Once Upon a Chef, a family-friendly recipe blog featuring tested and perfected recipes with step-by-step photos.
Leisurely weekend mornings are the perfect time to treat your family to a delicious homemade breakfast.
1. Morning Glory Muffins (pictured above) — Made with a little bit of everything — whole wheat flour, carrots, apples, raisins, walnuts, orange juice, coconut and wheat germ — these muffins are a a glorious way to start the day.
2. Chocolate Chip Scones – Sweet, tender and buttery with morsels of melted chocolate within, children (and let’s not forget husbands!) absolutely love these scones.
3. Banana Pancakes — Transform your overripe bananas into the best-ever banana pancakes — all with ingredients you have on hand!
4. Glazed Oatmeal Scones with Pecans & Currants — Adapted from Joanne Chang’s wonderful cookbook, Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston’s Bakery & Cafe, these comforting breakfast treats are like a cross between scones and oatmeal cookies: buttery and tender on the inside, crisp and craggy on the outside, and chockfull of oats, pecans and currants.
5. Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars — These homemade granola bars put all those store-bought bars to shame. What’s more? They’re no-bake and take only ten minutes to make.
6. Savory Sausage & Cheddar Bread Pudding – Bread pudding is usually sweet, but it can be made savory too. This version, brimming with sweet pork sausage and sharp cheddar, is deeply flavored with a crisp, golden crust and tender, creamy interior.
7. Drunken Caramel French Toast — Spiked with Grand Marnier, this French toast casserole is the ideal company-for-brunch dish because you assemble it the night before, let it sit in the fridge overnight, then just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat.
8. Quick Cinnamon Buns with Buttermilk Glaze — Who doesn’t love cinnamon buns? These are so much easier to make than your standard yeast buns, yet they’re just as delicious — it not more so.
9. Homemade Granola — With crispy clusters of old-fashioned oats, dried fruits, toasted coconut and golden honey, this homemade granola is both delicious and nutritious.