Jennifer Segal is the chef and photographer behind Once Upon a Chef, a family-friendly recipe blog featuring tested and perfected recipes with step-by-step photos.
It can be a challenge to find quick and easy weeknight recipes that the whole family will love. These dishes are kid-friendly, but appeal to moms and dads too.
1. Chicken Meatballs with Tomato Balsamic Glaze (pictured above) –These light and elegant meatballs topped with a tangy and sweet tomato balsamic glaze are made with ground chicken, a great alternative to ground beef and so much more flavorful than ground turkey. Serve them as you would meatloaf, with buttered noodles and a vegetable.
2. Blackened Tilapia — In this easy recipe, mild tilapia fillets are dusted with a bold Cajun spice rub, then sautéed in olive oil until crisp and flavorful on the exterior and tender and flaky within. I like to serve it with a Quinoa Pilaf for a wholesome weeknight meal.
3. New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp — Popular in Louisiana, BBQ Shrimp refers to sautéed shrimp in a Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. If you keep shrimp in your freezer, you can throw this dish together at a moment’s notice.
4. Cashew Chicken — Tender chunks of stir-fried chicken, crispy roasted cashews and bright green scallions in an authentic brown garlic sauce — this dish tastes just like take-out, only better.
5. Spinach & Gruyere Quiche — You might think of quiche as more of a brunch or lunch dish, but it also makes an easy weeknight dinner. In this delicious recipe, you get to cheat and use a store bought crust and the spinach comes frozen right out of a box. The secret is the addition of heavy cream, which makes it wonderfully rich.