9 easy latin recipes to transform your Thanksgiving leftovers
The Thanksgiving table is brimming with the fruits of your labor. Countless hours preparing, shopping, mixing, and baking all to celebrate with family and friends. Now that it’s the day after, your fridge is stocked with leftovers and you have no idea how to revamp them into new and delicious meals for your family. Sure, you can make turkey salad or turkey sandwiches, but this year why not spruce up those leftovers and enjoy a few new Latin dishes. These dishes are easy to make, make use of the leftovers you have on-hand, and can be enjoyed year round by swapping out turkey for chicken or beef.
Here are 9 delicious recipes for that post-Thanksgiving turkey hangover.
1. Turkey Tostadas – Crispy baked tortillas slathered with refried beans, topped with shredded turkey, a drizzle of warm cranberry sauce, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds: these tostadas are a crowd pleaser.
2. Chalupas – Masa (corn dough) shaped into little boats and lightly fried until crisp, is the perfect vessel to stuff with turkey, stuffing, or cranberry sauce topped with nuts.
3. Tacos de Papa – Looking for an easy way to use up all those leftover mashed potatoes? Well, look no further: these mashed-potato tacos are easy to make and addicting.
4. Turkey Empanadas – Empanadas are the one of the best ways to use leftovers and transform them into something different. These turkey empanadas are filled with shredded turkey, onion, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, and balsamic vinegar. Take a short cut by using pre-made empanada discs, and be sure to check out the recipe for spicy cranberry-mango dipping sauce.
5. Potato Enchiladas w/ Red Enchilada Sauce & Tomato Salsa – Roll up those leftover mashed potatoes with fresh Mexican cheese and drench them in a smoky sauce for a pan of delicious enchiladas.
6. Turkey-Poblano Watercress Torta – Breathe new life to the tired old next-day turkey sandwich with rajas de poblano and watercress. Yum!
7. Pastel Azteca – A cross between lasagna and chilaquiles, this pastel is a tasty way to reinvent leftovers. Shredded turkey and corn are tucked between layers of corn tortillas and enchilada sauce, then baked until bubbly.
8. Tortilla Soup – Nothing soothes those tired bones after countless hours in the kitchen preparing a Thanksgiving feast than a big bowl of soup. This soup is sure to hit the spot.
9. Turkey Arepas – Transform that turkey into a south-of-the-border treat with arepas. Topped with shredded turkey, pico de gallo, and queso fresco, these babies pack a punch.
LATISM 2012 Best Latina Food Blogger Vianney Rodriguez is founder and developer for Sweet Life Bake. Sweet Life Bake has appeared as one of NBC Latina’s Food Blogs We Love, and was featured in Latina Magazine as one of their Best Food Blogs.