An adaptation of Stephen King’s It, starring Philadelphia native Jaeden Lieberher, took the air out of the competition this weekend, with a surprising $117 million at the box office.
Who’s a loser now?
According to boxofficemojo.com, It set records for the largest opening in September, in the fall, for an R-rated horror film and for a horror film.
It took such a large percentage of moviegoers that second-place finisher, the Reese Witherspoon romcom Home Again, did only $9 million. It basically grossed twice as much box office revenue as all the other weekend showings combined. That’s dominance. And it was predicted here.
Rounding out the Top 10 were:
3. The Hitman’s Bodyguard ($4.85 million, $64.9 million total)
4. Annabelle: Creation ($4 million, $96 million)
5. Wind River ($3.2 million, $25 million)
6. Leap! ($2.5 million, $15.8 million)
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming! ($2 million, $327.7 million)
8. Dunkirk (1.95 million, $183.1 million)
9. Logan Lucky ($1.83 million, $25.2 million)
10. The Emoji Movie ($1.06 million, $82.5 million)